Evangel Week 9: It’s Good to Be a Body
Check out the video sermon for week 9 titled "it's good to be a body" here.
Big Idea: Our bodies are God’s dwelling places, which challenges our tendency to view them as deficient.
- What types of applications have you heard for the phrase “your body is a temple?”
- Who are the major culprits that teach us our bodies are deficient?
- What do they have to gain from maintaining certain images of ‘perfection’?
Read Luke 24:35-42 and consider the following
- Some of the oldest ideas about the physical world were that it was imperfect, ruined, or even the product of some ‘lesser god’, are you surprised to hear that problems with physicality are an old thing? Why or why not?
- What is the significance of Jesus returning as a body when we consider our own bodies?
- In Philippians 3:21 Paul says our humbled body will be transformed like his glorious body. Yet, the disciples had an awareness that it was Jesus before them—scars and all. What does it feel like to think of your current body being in some way your forever body—just free from sickness, pain, etc?
Read Psalm 139 slowly and carefully, what stands out to you?
Consider reading Psalm 139 every morning for a week, journal about your experience.