Evangel Week 7: El Presidente
Check out the video sermon for week 7 titled "El Presidente" here.
Big Idea: Christ's ascension is his movement into the realm of power and authority over all things.
- Author David Foster Wallace once said “…there is actually no such thing as atheism. There is no such thing as not worshipping. Everybody worships. The only choice we get is what to worship. And the compelling reason for maybe choosing some sort of god or spiritual-type thing to worship–be it JC or Allah, be it YHWH or the Wiccan Mother Goddess, or the Four Noble Truths, or some inviolable set of ethical principles–is that pretty much anything else you worship will eat you alive.” What do you think people on the street give authority over their lives?
- Think about your last decision, how did you make it? Based on how you made it what do you think has authority over your life?
Read Romans 14:1-9 and Discuss the Following
- The phrase “Jesus is Lord” is directly lifted from the Roman imperial propaganda “Caesar is Lord”. It’s hard for us, as democratic modern individuals, to imagine the authority of a King or a Caesar. What title would you give to someone had ultimate authority today? What does it feel like to think of Jesus with that word?
- Paul is often presented as a bit of a moral authoritarian, and yet here he is making space for diverse opinions. What enables him to make this space?
- We like to think we are more diverse than the early church, but this seems to imply that belief is misguided. How did they stay together in the midst of diversity?
- Is there anything you think you were ‘wrong’ about when you were younger? How might that belief have served you and helped you get where you are?