Evangel Week 3: Fire Escape
Check out the video sermon for week 3 titled "Fire Escape" here.
Big Idea: Jesus’ coming is the start of a new and exciting thing, heaven happening all around us here on earth.
- How have you been taught to think of heaven? What images come to mind?
- What have you experienced in the last couple days that could be called ‘heavenly’?
- What are the consequences of thinking the world is a bad place?
Read Luke 13:10-17 and consider the following:
- Imagine yourself in this story, what would you feel as you see the action unfold?
- The religious leader is angry at Jesus for breaking a religious taboo and working a miracle on the Sabbath. What are some of the taboos and rules that Christians have that might get in the way of following Jesus through helping others?
- One of the big questions throughout Christian history has to do with Christianity’s relationship to culture—with the poles being an approach that emphasizes social justice/political activism and another approach that emphasizes right doctrine/‘saving souls’. What do you think is the appropriate level of involvement of Christians in things like politics, social change, activism, etc?
- If you’re a church attender, who do you think gets overlooked in our gatherings? What can we do about that?